Sunday, November 14, 2010

Who are you...who-who, who-who?

For this next project, we were told to make something that had to do with our identity, who we thought we were. When I thought about it, I couldn't help but think about the secrets I keep. I thought about the mistakes that I've made along my life's journey that have shaped who I am today, the ones that taught me what's right and what's wrong, the ones that I hope stay dead and locked away from public view. I thought about that one thing that drives how I try to act, how it has effected me and how, in turn, I try to treat other people and how I make my way through the world.
I know none of this really makes sense because I'm not telling you what these secrets are, but in a sense, aren't those secrets what makes us who we really are? The ones that we only show the the people that we REALLY trust. Aren't the things that we will only admit to ourselves or those really close to us the very essence of who we are? When we take off all the flashy jewelry and lose all the complex perfumes, Axe body sprays, and sometimes bloated personalities we use to make a show for those we don't really know. When all that is gone and all we have is us in our underwear, isn't THAT who we REALLY are?

I know this is going to sound kind of nerdy, but it's like the debate surrounding the most recent Batman movies about who is the real Bruce Wayne and what are his masks. Is him as Batman? Is it him as the scummy bachelor? Or is it the person he can be with those who know his secrets? I personally think it's the last one.

So for this class, I'm going to make a box with a lock on it (I'm just gonna draw one on) with all the words I would use to describe myself, but on the inside, I'll put all the things I hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment